Sometimes life can be so overwhelming that you see yourself swimming in sadness and a sudden change of mood. It’s ok to feel sad or moody sometimes, but do not forget that it’s a feeling that should not be allowed to last for long. Most times we are happy living our lives and doing things that bring excitement to us, but in between the happiness sadness can creep in. Maybe being sad sometimes can help one understand and appreciate the sweetness of life and to treasure our happy moments.
It is ok to cry or feel sad and so does not need to feel down. However what matters is taking charge of the situation and finding ways to make yourself feel better.
The following could help you feel better and happy again whenever you are sad.
- Put your current feeling in writing: Whether the passion to write is there or not, expressing yourself in a journal goes a long way in helping to come out of that sadness. Write like you are having a discussion with your other self. When you are sad, you are the only one who knows how you feel and what you feel inside. Some persons write love letters to themselves if that goes for you, please don’t hesitate to.
- Play inspiring music, watch motivational videos: Listening to music or motivational videos can make you feel better. “Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything.” – Plato. You can choose to listen to your favourite songs. Be careful not to listen to songs that could make you more sad. You can also watch motivational videos to help you feel better and inspire you to do great things.
- Dance: Dancing has a way of making one lively again. Whenever you feel sad, play a favourite song and dance along. You can learn and create different dance steps.
- Show acts of kindness: When you are sad is not the time to start acting rudely towards those around you, rather it’s the time to show act of kindness to those around you. Show care and render help to those people who need them. When you bring kindness to others, kindness will not only rob off on you but the joy and laughter you have given to them will also return to you. when you bring kindness to the world around you, the world has a way of bringing kindness back to you.
- Have a forgiving heart: Being hurt by someone can be very painful, but be ready to forgive and let go of the pain, so you can feel better. Forgive yourself and others. Stop dwelling on the negative so you can feel better.
- Pamper yourself: Take good care of yourself. You can take yourself out. You really don’t have to spend much to do that. Well if you have the cash, spend it on yourself. Get a good meal, go to the mall and do some shopping. Try spending a little bit more time pampering yourself. It can help change your perspective a little and turn the day around for the better
- Be Adventurous: You can just do something you have always wanted to do. Go to the places you have always wanted to go. Do something challenging! Experiencing something new is a great way to put the sadness behind you and put life into a new perspective. Go on an adventure!
- Meditate: Meditation also helps to take away sadness. Do it with focus, with your eyes closed. For Christians, you can meditate with scriptures. Make sure you don’t meditate on your breathing. You can stay outside and meditate on being outside or listen to music and focus on it. Focus on the present moment and live in the calmness that comes when you let your thoughts fade away.
- Hang out with friends and family: Whenever you’re sad, go spend some time with your friends and your family as well. There are some friends that are so good with initiating funny discussions, those friends you don’t get bored of their talks. Those ones you should visit or hang out with as they have the ability to make you lively again. Talk it out with them Or even if you don’t, spending time with them just takes you away from your sad emotions and helps brings a smile to your face.
- Smile: Smiling when you don’t feel like could be difficult. Especially when nothing is motivating you to. Smile anyways! Smile to your self and to those around you.