Former South African President Jacob Zuma’s legal team has quit less than a month before he goes on trial for corruption charges
It is believed that the 79-year-old Zulu man, is doing everything possible to delay the deadline.
Forced to resign in 2018 after a series of corruption scandals, Zuma is to face 16 charges of fraud, influence peddling and extortion in connection with the purchase of jet fighters, patrol boats and milltary equipment.
He is due in court in Pietermaritzburgon Monday, May 17, to face all his charges.
One month before his trial, all his lawyers, as one man gave up representing him at the end of April, have backed out without any explaination for the resignation.
Nothing has been said about their reasons or is it another manoeuvre?
The former president could have possibly asked for a new postponement, to have time to reorganize his defense team.
James Grant, a lawyer in an interview on the various possibilities of the judicial scenario said:
“It is almost certain that he – or his new team of lawyers if he has one – will ask for a postponement and that this postponement will be granted,”
The President is said to have been defying authorities in recent months from his Nkandla home in the rural Zulululand, which was refurbished at tax payers expense during his presidency under the guise of “security” work for 20 million Euros
Zuma, who last week in Titok video, appeared, dancing with his granddaughters, indicating to be delighted to deride his opponents.
Zuma’s middle name, Gedleyihlekisa, is Zulu for “one who laughs while crushing his enemies”.