Trouble seem to be brewing as the family of Stanley Okoro, the fast-rising Nollywood actor, who died last week, are alleging that their son was poisoned by colleagues at a movie location.
Okoro died on Wednesday, August 11, as a result of suspected food poisoning, according to sources.
The actor’s family are claiming that he was poisoned after successfully completing a film shoot in a hotel in Enugu State’s Maryland area.
It was gathered that he moved to another movie shoot in Asaba in Delta State, but unlike him, no pictures were taken to know those he was on set with.
The family noted that they don’t know if he had problems with anybody that would want him dead.
The family further said that Okoro’s only problem was his obsession with food.
Okoro Nneka Loveth, the late actor’s cousin, told a news outlet on Thursday that the late actor loved people and carried them along.
“Stanley is my cousin. Stanley had been poisoned. And the person who poisoned him was on set with him as recently as last week.”
“Whenever he came to Enugu, he’d usually call me for food or one of our cousins to get him food. Stanley really enjoyed the food. He consumed a lot of food.”
“So, whenever he asked for food (and I was usually very busy), I’d send a Keke (tricycle) driver to deliver it. I usually had one Hausa Keke driver do it for me, or I’d go myself, or my other cousin would go herself or send one of her girls.”
“However, the last time he came, we only spoke on the phone. They were in Enugu for filming. Their location was in Enugu, Maryland. He then left for Asaba in search of another.”
“So he returned after the movie shoot. He apologized for being unable to meet with us this time but promised to return the following week. Stanley left Enugu four days ago for Asaba, saying he’d be back next week because they had another movie to shoot.”
“He resided in Owerri (Imo State), but the poisoning could have occurred in Enugu or Asaba. As soon as he returned to Owerri, he began vomiting and felt as if he had a stroke. He was puking up a black liquid. A native doctor who was invited even revealed that he had been poisoned. Stanley was walking to the restroom when he collapsed from a burning chest and yelled for help.”
“They rushed him to the hospital, and once there, Stanley gave up. As a result, the individual employed a quick poison. Maybe the person just took advantage as they finished shooting and decided to eat.”
“We didn’t sleep at all yesterday. Stanley had no right to die. That guy was nice and carried everyone along with him. My entire village is in tears. He was very down-to-earth. The only issue he had was that he really enjoyed the food. He ate an excessive amount.”
“He wasn’t married, but he was possibly in a serious relationship. He wasn’t even 30 years old, so I couldn’t tell if he was having problems with anyone [who would want him dead]. He didn’t tell me anything about anyone.”
“Stanley lived his life like a Hausa man; he didn’t even notice when someone was upset with him.”
“Right now, Stanley is in the mortuary, and we don’t know what to do. He was about 27 years old.”
Loveth went on to say that the actor’s family has begun planning his funeral and that he will most likely be buried on August 26.