As Covid-19 resurges, the need to stay healthy has become paramount and responsibility of every individual. Health precautions for a healthy living must be carried out daily.
One of such precaution is the use of hand sanitizers. Other measures such as the use of face mask, washing of hands, and the use of alcohol-based sanitizers are needed.
One must ensure to put into practice the washing of hands. As a general rule, we are admonished to avoid touching your nose, eyes, or mouth with unwashed hands.
However, you cannot wash your hands all the time especially in places where there are no access to water. Hand sanitizers are convenient. All you need to do is take a bottle into your bag, pour some on your palm and rub it on your hands.
However, some of the ingredients use in the preparation of homemade sanitizers includes:
- Isopropyl Alcohol – This is a highly effective disinfectant and one of the main ingredients for your sanitizer. Note, this alcohol is flammable and will burn skin when in direct contact with your hand, so use gloves. Bear in mind that there is a measurement for this ingredient. An alcohol percentage of 60% will make your sanitizer effective, but anything less than that is just a waste of alcohol.
- Essential oils such as lavender or orange oil are effective against bacteria and serve as antibacterial and also for fragrance.
- Aloe-Vera – This nourishes your hands and ensures they don’t dry out.
- Glycerin – This helps to thicken the liquid and make the substance stick to your hands.
3 ways to make your hand sanitizers:
- Pour the isopropyl alcohol and aloe-vera gel into the bowl. As hand sanitizers need to contain at least 60% alcohol to be effective, you should ideally maintain a 2:1 ratio of isopropyl alcohol to aloe-vera gel. For every 2 tablespoons of isopropyl alcohol you add, you should mix 2 tablespoons of aloe-vera gel.
- Add essential oils to the mix if needed. You don’t necessarily need essential oils, but if you like a particular smell, you can add a few drops of oil.
- Stir the ingredients together with a spoon and pour them into plastic bottles using a funnel. Your hand sanitizer is ready to go.
MAKING HAND SANITIZER WITH LAVENDER OIL
- Clean and disinfect the bottle of container for the mixture.
- With a bowl and spoon, mix in 2/3 teaspoon of alcohol and 1/3 teaspoon of aloe vera. Stir the mixture until they blend.
- Add droplets of lavender oil to give a good scent and stir.
- Put the mixture into your dried bottle and keep it out of the reach of children
MAKING HAND SANITISER USING LEMON OIL
- Pour the alcohol and aloe vera gel into a bowl and stir. Stop when blended
- Add drops of Lemon oil and stir to mask the harsh scent of the alcohol.
- Funnel it into your container or bottle and label it.
Now, you can make your hand sanitizers and not get ripped off by the expensive brands or get stranded when you can’t find any to buy.
You can buy any of the ingredients at a supermarket. Remember, health is wealth. This way you can keep your family healthy. Always go out with a bottle of your hand sanitizer.