The Kaduna State government has confirmed another attack on teachers and students of Universal Basic Education (UBE) primary school in Birnin Gwari, Kaduna state. The government said this in a statement issued by the state commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Mr. Samuel Aruwan on Monday, March15.
This would be the fourth attack and kidnap of students in the country in a space of two months. Another attempt was made on students on Sunday in Ikara local government area of the state, it was gathered troops foiled the attack. The state police boss, said between the late hours of Saturday night and the early hours of Sunday, some suspected bandits stormed the Government Science Secondary School, Ikara, with intention to kidnap the students.
“Fortunately, the students utilised the security warning system in place, and were thus able to alert security forces in the area”. he said.
The Federal Government had earlier assured it won`t allow the educational system fall into ruin. It has put in place measures to curb the insecurity challenges confronting the nation, however, there is little or no positive change as the country records persistent attacks mostly in the North west region.
Speaking on the latest attack, A resident while speaking with newsmen said his son was a victim of the ugly incident as he was among those abducted from the school. The resident who was identified as Sarkin Mota said, “(They) were kidnapped early this morning when the teachers and pupils were coming to school, We are in state of panic,” he said, referring to other parents when they received the news”. Reuters reports quoted him speaking.
According to CP Aruwan,“The Kaduna State Government is currently obtaining details on the actual number of pupils and teachers reported to have been kidnapped and will issue a comprehensive statement as soon as possible,” He said.