Three members of a family in Bayelsa were on Sunday evening rushed to an undisclosed hospital after they suffered some burns and shock following a gas explosion in their apartment.
The incident which occurred along Azikoro road in the Ekeki community of Yenagoa Local Government Area of the state involved a mother and her two children.
According to some neighbours who spoke to our correspondent, the children between the ages of six and eight years old were with their mother at about 6.30pm when the explosion occurred in their kitchen.
One of the neighbours said the victims were home waiting for the return of their breadwinner who is a commercial tricycle (Keke) when they started perceiving the smell of gas, obviously from a leakage in their kitchen.
“The mother of the children went into the kitchen because of the gas smell to check where it was coming from and the next thing was a loud bang. An explosion that affected the entire building”.
Residents of the area were thrown into panic and confusion over the incident but were able to put themselves together to rush the victims to the hospital.
It was gathered that their breadwinner who hails from Kogi State was immediately contacted and rushed down to the hospital to see them, as doctors battle to stabilize their situation.