Tennis star, Rafael Nadal would not be competing in the ATP tournament coming up in Rotterdam, next week
Nadal, in a statement on Thursday said that he was pulling out of the ATP tournament in Rotterdam to have time to recover from the back problems that affected him in Australia.
Before the Australian Open earlier this month, the world number two withdrew from the ATP Cup in Adelaide, where he struggled with back pain before losing to Stefanos Tsitsipas in the quarter-finals.
Nadal said in a statement from the tournament organisers that,
“It is with great sadness that I have to forfeit from Rotterdam,”
“As most of the fans know, I suffered some back problems in Australia that started in Adelaide and continued during Melbourne.
“We found a temporary solution that allowed me to play without pain in the second week of the tournament. Once I got back to Spain I visited my doctor and together with my team they’ve advised not to play this upcoming week.”
The Punch reported that the 20-time Grand Slam champion is supposed to be playing in Rotterdam for the first time since 2009.
His absence leaves Daniil Medvedev who finished as runner-up in the just-concluded Australian Open as the top seed, with Tsitsipas, Alexander Zverev and Andrey Rublev also in the draw.
“I was really looking forward to coming back to Rotterdam and the Netherlands,” added Nadal. “I hope to come back and play there soon.”