The former world number one, Roger Federer won’t be participating in the upcoming ATP 500 event in Dubai after he crashed out of the Qatar Open quarter-finals on Thursday, March 11, 2021.
This was his first tournament in more than a year.
The former world number who came back to the court after two knee operations he did last year, beat Briton Dan Evans in three sets in his comeback match in Doha.
But he lost 3-6 6-1 7-5 to Georgia’s Nikoloz Basilashvili in the quarter finals.
20-times Grand Slam winner Federer said on social media.
“It’s been great to be back on the @atptour, loved every minute playing in Doha once again. “I’ve decided it’s best to go back to training and as a result, I’ve decided to withdraw from Dubai next week.”
It’s been great to be back on the @atptour , loved every minute playing in Doha once again. 🙌🏼
A big thank you to the best and loyal team that helped me get here. 🙏🏼
I’ve decided it’s best to go back to training and as a result, I’ve decided to withdraw from Dubai next week. 🏋🏽 pic.twitter.com/zp65Jt832n
— Roger Federer (@rogerfederer) March 11, 2021
More so, world number two Rafa Nadal has decided to pull out of the Dubai Duty Free event, which starts from Sunday to March 20.
Federer has won the Dubai tournament eight times and claimed his 100th tour-level title at the ATP in 2019.
He has also decided not to feature at the Miami Open Masters 1000 event to defend his title. The event starts from March 22 to April 4.
Federer had wanted to earlier come back at last month’s Australian Open. But he skipped the Grand Slam and said he would focus more on events that would help him get match fitness before Wimbledon reported the Punch.